archive-us.com » US » A » AHARNEY.US

Total: 64

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • County Monagaghan Estates Mid-nineteenth Century
    William Fo 2 Hope Ann Adile Hamilton James Ker Andrew Lennard Sir T B Leslie Sir John Leslie Emily Les 2 Lewis Henry Lucas Edward Madden John Plunket R Hon Rose Gertrude Rossmore Lord Rothwell Shirley Evelyn P Shirley Horation Sh 2 Singleton Thos Crawford Templetown Viscount Tennison William Verner Sir William Woodwright William Evolution of Estate Properties in South Ulster 1600 1900 an essay by P J Duffy in

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/estates.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive


  • County Monaghan, Ireland - Baronies / Parishes
    13 Inishkeen 14 Killanny 15 Killeevan 16 Kilmore 17 Magheracloone 18 Magheross 19 Monaghan 20 Muckno 21 Tedavnet 22 Tehallan 23 Tullycorbet Ballybay Poor Law Unions Carrickmacross Castleblayney Clogher Clones Cootehill Dundalk and Monaghan were established in the 1830 ties to deal with the effects of the famine Note Agnamullen 2 and Donaghmoyne 8 are a part of more than one PLU and they crossed county boudaries as in the

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/poor-law.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Monaghan History
    Ireland or Presbyterian In 1861 when the census first determined religion the respective proportions were 73 14 and 12 percent From Pat Traynor in California s gold rush country 1659 Census In the census of 1659 the total population of Monaghan was recorded as 4083 3649 Irish and 434 English In the section called Annie there were 11 persons perhaps a Floody relative from Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland pub 1837 Famine The direct impact of the famine was almost entirely confined to the cottier classes They hired land on conacre for eleven months on which they grew their potatoes Generally they lived in a cabin constructed of sods or mud erected on waste ground or on the roadside Their children married young as the only capital required to start a family was a spade and a baket of seed potatoes The husband would spend the summer working as a spalpeen or migratory farm labourer The wife and children often took to the road begging This was possible because potatoes were a low maintenance crop not requiring much attendance after planting It was necessary because by that time the last years crop would have been gone so the critical period was the months before the new crop was ready The famine hit hardest in the west where the land was poorest the population hightest and alternative sources of employment were lacking It can also be associated with economic changes Irish agriculture was moving away from tillage which was labour intensive towards livestock farming which was not The flax industry would have provided employment and an alternative source of income for many but there would still have been a significant number of cottiers who depended totally on the potato on Aughnamullen The name Aughnamullen is an anglicization of the Gaelic Achadh an Mullen meaning the field of the mills From Kevin Sweeney in County Cavan Ireland Some history books on Monaghan The History of the Co of Monaghan by E P Shirley 1879 out of print History of Monaghan for Two Hundred years 1660 1860 by Denis Carolan Rushe republished in 1996 and available from Mr Theo McMahon 6 Tully Street Monaghan Co Monaghan Ireland The Monaghan Story pub 1976 by Pedar Livingstone Out of print CARRICKMACROSS A description from the year 1837 This place derives it s name from it s situation on a rock and from one of its early proprietors and is the only town in the barony The castle of the Earl of Essex part of the walls of which are still standing in the garden of W Daniel Esq was leased by the Earl to Mr Barton whose wife and children were burnt with the castle by the insurgents of 1641 while he was attending to his parliamentary duties in Dublin as representative of Co Monaghan The town is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry and consists of one principal street with some smaller sts Branching from it and contains some 56O

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/towns.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Monaghan Parishes and Townlands
    and Lough Ballytrain besides several of smaller size battle is said to have been fought an an island in the lough opposite the glebe house where many large bridles and battle axes have been found this island comprises several acres of very excellent land mostly in pasture Of the entire extent of the parish 25 008 acres are arable and pasture and 1503 are bog and waste land The soil is of an average quality and the system of agriculture is capable of great improvement flax of good quality is cultivated to a great extent and wheat oats barley and rye are also grown There are very extensive bleach greens at Crieve near Ballibay the property of Messrs S Cuningham and brothers also similar establishments at Drumfaldraa and Cremorne respectively belonging to Messrs Cuningham and Mr Jackson and at Chantinee to Mr Forbes There are flax mills at Crieve and Laragh the latter in which machinery for spinning has been recently erected the property of Messrs Davison and with a weaving factory and bleach green affording employment to more than 300 persons a large corn mill at Rea and two others at Derrygooney all well supplied with water from the lakes Some slate quarries of an inferior description and a lead mine were formerly worked but have been discontinued The principal seats are Mountain Lodge situated in a beautiful demesne that of Lieut Col Ker Lough Bawn of W Tenison Esq Chantinee in the demesne of which are some fine waterfalls of J Tilly Forbes Esq the glebe house the residence of the Rev R Loftus Tottenham Cremorne Green of J Jackson Esq Crieve House of S Cunningham Esq Drumfaldre of John Cuningham Esq Carnaveagh of Joe Cuningham Esq Derrygooney of R A Minnitt Esq Laragh of A Davison Esq

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/parishes.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • County Monaghan, Aghnamullen Parish
    its declivities once an unreclaimed waste are now sheeted with cultivation or thickly doted with mills and other establishments of industry See Crieve and Eaglish Egish Within the parish are part of the lakes and streams which environ Ballybay Lough Avean the lough of Chantinee and 8 lesser lakes on the border is the lake of Sincock Shercock and at intervals are the demesne of Rockfield Bushford Millford Prospect Mountain Lodge Chantinee Crieve and Sallyville Lieut Col Ker somewhere about half a century ago greatly improved the Mountain Lodge demesne made some fine plantations and reclaimed a great tract of bog Bleachfields exists at Crieve Cremorne Drumfaldra and Chantinee and flax mills at Crieve and Laragh The parish is traversed southward by the road from Monaghan to Dublin Augnamullen has a rectory and a separate benefice in the dio of Clogher Tithe composition 900 pounds Gross income 969 pounds net 839 pounds 2 shillings and one penny halfpenny Patron the diocesan One curate for the parish church has a stipend of 150 pounds and another for a chapel of ease at Crossduff has a stipend of 75 pounds The parish church is old and was repaired in 1830 by means of parochial assessment and of a loan of 150 pounds from the late Board of First Fruits Sittings 200 average attendance 300 The chapel of ease at Crossduff 4 5 miles from the parish church was built in 1828 at the cost of 900 pounds gifted by the late Board of First Fruits Attendance 100 Two Presbyterian meeting houses in connection with the General Assembly the one formerly Secessional and the other of the Synod of Ulster are attended the former by 120 the latter by 100 Two Roman Catholic chapels at Lochagish Lough Egish and Aghakiet are under the

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/augh-1844.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Aghnamullen Townlands, Co. Monaghan
    Dooraa Drumcanon Drumcreeghan Drumcunnion Ch Drumfaldra Drumgor Drumhillagh Drumillard Drumlood Drumod Drumskelt Dunmakenna Edenbrone Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Carrickmacross Carrickmacross Cootehill Carrickmacross Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Carrickmacross Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Carrickmacross Cootehill Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Carrickmacross Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Cootehill Montgomery Lucas Leslie Char Woodwright Grattan Henry Rothwell Pl Montgomery Crofton Verner Verner Tenison J F Johnston Jam Tennent Verner Verner Coote Richey Wm Tenison Es Grattan Tennison Lucas Grattan Kerr Plunkett JF Johnston Edenforan Fairtahy Formil Garrybane Garryduff Glen Gortlanna Gragarnagh Keenog Bane Keenog Duff Kilkit Killyliss Lackan Laggan Laragh Lattacrom Latton Lattonfasky Leagh Lisdrumcleve Ch Lisduff Lisgillan Lisgorran Lisinisky Lisnadarragh Lisnagalliagh Lisnalong Lurgachamlough Lurgangreen Maghon Money Monintin Mountain Ldge Mount Carmel Moylebeg Moylemore Moylemuck Mullanagore Mullananalt Mullanary Glebe Mullanarycortannel Raw Rebane Reduff Roo Shankill Shantonagh Shantony Sra Tamlat Tattybrack Tievaleny Tooa Tossy Tullyglass Tullynahinnera Tullynamalra Tullynanegish Tullyrain Ullinagh Cootehill Carrickmacross Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Cootehill Castleblayney Castleblayney Cootehill Cootehill Carrickmacross Carrickmacross Cootehill

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/aughna.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive

  • County Monaghan Parishes
    outside and of limestone within it is encompassed by an ancient burial ground enclosed by a strong wall On the other side of the road is another burial ground similarly enclosed in which are many curiously deco rated tombstones and where there is yet standing one of the ancient round towers The walls of this tower are four feet thick and very rough on the outside but composed of smooth limestone within The internal diameter is 10 feet and there are resting places for the joists of five successive floors The thickness of the walls diminishes towards the top and there is a door way about four feet above the ground at the top were large embrasures On the surface in this burial ground is a large stone coffin the lid is very heavy and of an angular shape like the roof of a house with two small pillars rising from the ends and an ancient inscription on each side but so much defaced as to be illegible It is supposed to be the coffin of a Mac Mahon Near these cemeteries is an extensive artificial mound of earth very steep and rather difficult of access being on the summit of a considerable hill In the parish are two wells much celebrated among the peasantry for curing the jaundice one about three miles from Clones on the road leading to Monaghan is called the Grailabuy Well the other about a mile from Clones on the road to Enniskillen is called Clintiveran Jaundice Well Near the fort is an excellent spring called Tubber Tierney CLONTIBRET a parish in the barony of CREMORNE county of MONAGHAN and province of ULSTER on the confines of the county of Armagh 6 miles N by W from Castle Blayney on the road to Monaghan 63 feet containing 15 941 inhabitants and comprising according to the Ordnance survey 26 553 statute acres of which 334 are part of Mucknoe lake 198 are in small loughs 3920 bog and the remainder with the exception of a small portion of rough rocky pasture good arable land and all under tillage Agriculture is improving and the bog affords abundance of good fuel Grauwacke slate is found in abundance and is quarried for building and for repairing the roads A mine of antimony was discovered on Lord Middleton s property and was worked for some time but not paying it was discontinued A lead mine has been recently opened in Carriganure on the estate of E Lucas Esq M P of Castleshane and lead ore is also found in the townland of Killicrum Millmount the handsome residence of A Swanzy Esq and Rockfield House of H Swanzy Esq are within the parish The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Clogher constituting the corps of the arch deaconry of Clogher and in the patronage of the Bishop The tithes amount to 800 and the gross revenue of the dignity including tithes glebe and lands is returned at 852 The glebe house was erected in 1752 by aid of a gift of 100 from the late Board of First Fruits the glebe comprises 40 acres besides which the lands of the archdeaconry called the Archdeacon s Hill situated in the parish of Clogher contain 9 ac let on lease at a rent of 16 per annum The church is a plain old structure with an ancient square tower surmounted by a spire it is in a very dilapidated condition and it is in contemplation to erect a new church Divine service is also occasionally performed in a school house at the southern extremity of the parish in the R C divisions part of the parish is included in the union or district of Mucknoe or Macrey and the remainder forms a district of itself the chapel is at Anyallow There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster and also one in connection with the Seceding Synod on the confines of the parish and there is also a place of worship for Primitive Wesleyan Methodists There are parochial and other schools aided by private subscription in which about 520 children are instructed and there are two pay schools in which are about 120 children There is a dispensary at Castleshane close to the parish in the benefits of which it partakes Charitable donations to the amount of 500 and 15 per ann have been bequeathed by various benefactors for the relief of the poor Much pine or fir with the roots frequently upright and the mark of fire on them and much black and grey oak are found in the boggy lands In Cornero wood on the shore of Mucknoe lake are the ruins of an ancient castle DONAGH a parish in the barony of TROUGH county of MONAGHAN and province of ULSTER containing with the post towns of Glasslough and Emyvale which are separately described 11 068 inhabitants This parish is supposed to derive its name from St Dympna the patron saint of the district who is said to have conferred the virtue of preventing or curing almost all diseases which many of the peasantry yet believe is retained on the waters of the celebrated spring Tubber Phadric her silver staff is in the possession of Owen Lamb of Knockboy near Monaghan In March 1688 about 3000 of the Irish being garrisoned in the fort of Charlemont and attempting to plunder the Protestants of the neighbourhood of Armagh Lord Blayney had frequent skirmishes with them in which he constantly prevailed until the 13th of the month when on being informed that his castle of Monaghan was taken by the Rapparees and that all the Protestant forces in that quarter had retreated to Glasslough where they were closely besieged by the enemy and hearing that Sir Arthur Rawdon had quitted Loughbrickland of which the Irish army under Gen Hamilton had taken possession he marched to join his friends at Glasslough where they

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/parishes-other.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Magee Patrick M Aneany Thomas Martin Francis M Cabe James Shankey Simon Reilly Philip Martin Felix Martin Big Arthur Martin Felix Martin Little Edward Finnegan Mary Martin Patrick Murray DRUMBRONE all Michael M Namurrig Michael Duffy Patrick Lamb Peter Marron Michael Crosby Patrick Duffy jun Thomas Duffy Anne Duffy John Duffy John Crawley Pntrick Duffy sen Pierse M Murrig DRUMCARROW all Peter M Googan Michael Cunningham Owen M Caghey James M Caghey Thomas Marron Thomas Crawley Hugh M Caghey Laurence Traynor Bryan Marron Mary Martin Myles M Geogh James Agnew Anne M Cabe Thomas Agnew Nicholas Owens Rose Finnegan Thomas Finnegan PARISH OF MAGHEROSS DRUMMOND OTRA Town of Carrick NEW STREET partial National School house Yard John Byrne Hugh M Nally John Martin Bernard Graham William Graham James Flynn Thomas O Leary Myles Byrne Patrick M Eneny Philip Finnegan Thomas M Cabe Thomas Connor James Caffrey James Brickle Michael Duffy Patrick Campbell Thomas Callan Patrick Quin Michael Woods Joseph Campbell William Woods Philip Fox William Woods CROSS LANE Philip Donaghy Patrick Markey James Kennan James Woods Patrick Fee Michael Traynor George Pattison John Campbell Thomas Johnston Michael Connolly Patrick Pidgeon CHAPEL LANE partial John Markey Peter Martin Edward Carolan Unoccupied Thomas Marron Bryan Finnegan Bryan Rooney James Mee Edward M Nally Carrickmacross Gas Co Henry Quin Sec Mary Eggleston William Eggleston Peter Hoey Lawrence Collins Peter Fagan Richard Flynn Bernard M Cullagh Thomas Flaherty Elizabeth Kirk GREAGHLANE partial Patrick Daly John Hanlon Sarah Walsh Patrick Hanlon Thomas Marron Hugh Finnegan Anna Conlan James Carroll Henry M Quillan Peter Bird Bryan Marron Peter Kelaghan Catherine Rush Anne M Anally Evelyn P Shirley CORLEA all Thomas Ward George M Kittrick Patrick Reilly Patrick M Enany James Mortimer James Tomy Arthur Murphy Thomas M Kittrick Peter Garvey Rose Ward Edward M Kittrick Thomas M Garvey Patrick M Enany Owen M Enany Agnes M Guiggan Hugh M Guiggan DRUMGURRA partial Felix Brennan John Trainor Bernard Ward Margaret M Garvey James Oliver Unoccupied William J White John White Evelyn P Shirley Mioles Keenan Edward M Cabe Owen M Cabe Catherine Keenan Philip Trainor PARISH CLONTIBRET TASSAN partial Thomas Carroll John Gribbon Henry Carroll Peter Comisky Rose Moorhead Mary Mulligan Owen Mulligan sen Francis Flanagan Bridget Flanagan Patk M Nally Andrew Owen Mulligan jun James Mulligan sen John Crean Patrick M Nally Red Jno M Nally pensioner John Strahan Rev John M Kenna William Strahan James Keegan William M Nally Tassan Mining Co James Skimmins Mngr Catherine Mulligan James Brennan Pat Viscount Templetown TONAGH all John Brennan Patrick Mulligan Edward M Nally Catherine Treanor John M Nally James Moorhead Patrick M Nally Hugh Loughran James Treanor William Loughtan John M Kenna Thomas Moorhead John Murphy John Casey James Hamilton LEMGARE all Edward Brennan Thomas Brennan Bernard Brennan John Brennan jun Daniel Harrison Matthew M Bennett Neal Brennan Michael M Cahey Charles Brennan Patrick Moone Peter Moone Laurence Moone Patrick Brennan John Brennan Patrick Treanor jun Margaret Treanor Catherine Treanor Patrick Rooney Anthony Rooney Patrick M Adams

    Original URL path: http://aharney.us/monaghan/gv-carrick.htm (2016-05-01)
    Open archived version from archive



  •